February 8, 2020

Hearing a testimony of God’s relentless pursuit of His children in the 21st century reminds me His love and power is still the same as it was in the time of the Old Testament.
Josh Lien, the Well’s satellite campus pastor in Aurora, took the stage at Well North this Sunday with a powerful reminder no one is too far gone. His sermon “Only God” had the focus, “A life fully surrendered, God takes full responsibility for.” This was comforting to me to know the Creator of the universe will take care of me if I only submit. Josh shared his process of submission through his story.
Josh’s testimony covered several years and all too common emotions we experience for example - unworthiness, pride, anger. He centered on a concept called the Iceberg Work; people only see the 10% above the surface of the iceberg, but they don’t see the other 90% below surface. It’s in the ninety where God confronts, shapes, and teaches us to be more like Him. Easily, though, we can make the top ten portions be only what people see of us. Josh reminded us when you paint your life to make it better than it seems and when you are not dealing with insecurities, you are building your life on the sand.
After years of trouble and choices, Josh finds himself ready to give up and overdosing in the Atlanta airport. Ironically, it’s in a terminal seat where he changes his terminal destination of separation from God to submission to God.
“God forgive me. God forgive me,” his mantra brought a wave of hope. The isolation and consuming wickedness were vanquished in the second chance of God’s grace.
Life will have heartaches; only God can give that pain a purpose. “Assigning your pain is the only way to overcome it.” Being broken is valuable because it’s where God gets to come in and redesign the pieces for a plan. Looking back on his life, Josh sees how God has always been there, “God has been with you everywhere you went; God will be with you everywhere you go.”
Everyone has a story. Everyone has God coming after them. If we submit to God, we’ll knock down walls like the Israelites did with Jericho. Leaving the testimony-service, Josh posed a question and a challenge. The question: What has God commanded you? The challenge: Joshua 1:8-9, 11.
Joshua 1:8 - “Meditate on It daily” = Get ready.
Joshua 1:9 - “Be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged.” = Get set.
Joshua 1:11 - “Get their provisions ready.” = GO.
Whatever God has called you to... get ready, get set, and GO.

Josh Lien - February 2, 2020

Only God

Powered by Series Engine

View All Posts

Morgan Weatherly

Morgan is a 5th grade school teacher who is passionate about people, reading, writing, and sprinkles on her ice
cream. When she's not teaching, Morgan loves spending time with loved ones, learning about new things, and
worshipping her King at church or in the car.

©2015 - 2020 The Well Church in Springfield, MO & Aurora, MO | Powered by Tension Group

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?